Moving Schools


Moving to a new home can be a daunting process, especially when you have a family with children. The question of how to change schools when relocating becomes a crucial consideration, particularly for families whose careers involve frequent relocations. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to ease this transition and ensure your child’s education remains uninterrupted.

Choosing the Right School

The first step in the process of changing schools when moving house is to select a suitable school for your children. If you’re considering a public school, your location will largely determine your options. However, if you prefer a different school within the same school district, the Florida School Choice program offers several alternatives. This program caters to children with disabilities, those facing bullying, low-income families, or students with poor academic performance. Options under this program include scholarships, homeschooling, tax credits, charter schools, and open enrollment. To explore the various choices available through School Choice, visit the Florida Department of Education website. If you’re interested in finding a list of public schools in your Florida school district, you can find it here.

If you’re thinking of sending your children to private schools, it’s essential to start with some research. You’ll need to identify the best schools in your new area based on your desired educational environment. Speak with your neighbors to learn about their children’s schools, and leverage local social media platforms, school ratings, and school websites to evaluate teaching standards and credentials.

Gathering Essential Documentation

Transferring your child from one school to another can seem overwhelming due to paperwork and bureaucracy. However, with proper preparation and record-keeping, this transition can be a smoother experience for both you and your child. One potential challenge is the disparity in curriculum between different states. If you’re moving from one Florida district to another, the curriculum differences might be minimal. Yet, if you’re transferring from out of state, it’s essential to determine the educational standards your child must meet based on their grade.

Before you move, ensure that you have all the necessary documentation for transferring your child ready. This includes their vaccine records and school transcripts. If these documents aren’t readily available, a simple call to your family doctor can help you obtain them before enrolling your child. Additionally, most schools will require proof of address, so make sure you have utility bills sent via USPS mail to your new address to demonstrate your residence.

Documentation Needed for Moving Schools

The Florida Legislature acknowledges the importance of an educational system that offers numerous options to students and their parents. To promote parental involvement and ensure students have access to schools that meet their needs, the legislature enacted Section 1002.31, Florida Statutes, which requires each school district to develop a controlled open enrollment plan. A controlled open enrollment plan allows school districts to consider parents’ school preferences when making student assignments. It permits parents from any school district in the state to enroll and transport their child to any public school that has not reached capacity.

This plan complements existing choice programs such as magnet schools, alternative schools, special programs, advanced placement, and dual enrollment. To provide transparency, districts and charter schools must maintain up-to-date capacity determinations on their respective websites. These determinations must integrate the specifications, plans, elements, and commitments outlined in the school district educational facilities plan and long-term work programs, as required under Section 1013.35, Florida Statutes.

Controlled open enrollment processes should give preferential treatment to:

  • Dependent children of active-duty military personnel who move due to military orders.
  • Children relocated due to a foster care placement in a different school zone.
  • Children who move due to a court-ordered change in custody because of separation, divorce, or the serious illness or death of a custodial parent.
  • Students residing in the district.

Contact Details

For further information about a district’s Controlled Open Enrollment plan, you can reach out to the district directly using the following contact information:

  • Toll-Free Hotline: 1-800-447-1636
  • Fax: 850-245-0875
  • Mailing Address: Office of Independent Education and Parental Choice Turlington Building – Florida Department of Education 325 W. Gaines Street, Room 1044 Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400



Q : How do schools find out you moved?

A : Schools typically find out you’ve moved in Florida when you update your contact information with them, such as your address, or when you enroll your child in a new school within the state.

Q : How to switch schools in Florida?

A : To switch schools in Florida, you should first choose the new school you want your child to attend and then follow their enrollment process. Ensure you have the required documentation, such as proof of address and student records, and reach out to the chosen school or the school district for guidance on the specific steps to transfer your child.

Q : Can you transfer schools mid year?

A : Yes! Transferring schools mid year is possible.

Q : What is the Farms to Schools program in Florida?

A : The Farms to Schools program in Florida connects local farmers with schools to provide fresh, locally sourced food providing nutrition on the farm for school meals.

Q : How to switch schools when moving? 

A : If you want to know how to transfer schools when moving; First, you must inform the current school about your impending move. Next, contact the school you wish your child to attend in your new location, provide necessary documentation, and follow their enrollment procedure.

Q : What is farms in education?

A : “Farms in education” typically refers to programs and initiatives that integrate agricultural and farming concepts into educational curricula. These programs aim to teach students about farming, agriculture, and food production while promoting a greater understanding of where their food comes from and the importance of sustainable farming practices.

Q : How to transfer elementary schools mid year?

A : For changing schools in elementary mid-year, notify your current school of the move, then contact the new elementary school. Follow their mid-year transfer process, which often involves providing student records and fulfilling admission requirements.

Q : How to switch schools without moving?

A : To switch schools without moving, explore school choice programs, magnet schools, or transfer options within your school district. Contact your current school or the district for guidance on the specific steps and requirements for transferring.

Q : Can you switch schools at the end of the year?

A : Yes, you can typically switch schools at the end of the school year in Florida. However, it’s essential to check with the specific schools and school district for their transfer and enrollment deadlines.

Chris is a Midwest Transplant that has lived in South Florida since 1999. While he likes to remain active and is an avid sports enthusiast, he's become our go-to provider of reviews of any establishment serving food and booze!